Oh how I love cake, who doesn’t? Just thought I’d share some inspirational cake baking with all those who follow a restricted diet. I’ve experimented with so many gluten free recipes, but none have turned out as good as this gluten and refined sugar free banana cake. It’s so simple too.
- 3 ripe bananas 2 mashed, 1 thinly sliced length wise
- 100g almond flour
- 25g coconut flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 70g maple syrup or honey
- 45g walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Line a 9×5 inch loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until a batter is formed.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Transfer the batter to your lined baking tin. Lay the banana slices on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When the bread is done remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cover and store for up to 4 days (if it lasts that long, no chance in my house!)