Turmeric is a great spice to incorporate into your diet for endometriosis, as well as other inflammatory diseases, as its active ingredient curcumin is anti-inflammatory. It’s been shown to reduce estradiol production and so MAY slow the progression of endometriosis. There’s also been some preliminary studies that show curcumin receding endometriotic cells in a dish!
The difficulty is the ease in which curcumin can be absorbed into the body. However, there are ways to improve absorption to maximise the benefits of this golden spice!
1. Mix with healthy fats
The curcumin binds to fat and can be more easily absorbed by our gut. Cooking with fats such as ghee & coconut oil, or mixing a golden latte with almond milk will optimise the body’s absorption.
2. Add black pepper
Absorption can be enhanced by 2000% when you add black pepper!
3. Heat it
Spice compounds are often activated when heated and increases curcumins solubility in water, making it easier to absorb. Heat also enhances the overall antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Try adding Turmeric to your cooking wherever possible. Below are a couple of my favourite recipes, which couldn’t be simpler. Perfect if you’re feeling fatigued from your illness and in needed of some healing food.
Easy Herbed Prawns
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused ghee
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 500g Fresh uncooked prawns
- Melt the ghee in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and turmeric.
- Add the prawns and cook for 1-3 minutes each side until they are firm, pink and opaque.
Delicious served with rice, fried curly kale, roasted courgettes and butternut squash.
Anti-Inflammatory Baked Cod
This omega-3 rich anti-inflammatory meal is effortless to prepare. Packed with healing power and flavours.
- 4 pieces of skinless cod fillets
- Bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused ghee melted
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 Large carrots cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 Courgettes, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 200˚C
- Arrange the cod in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ghee, turmeric and pepper and drizzle over the fish.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and arrange carrots and courgettes around fish.
- Bake in the over for 25 minutes until fish flakes easily and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with rice, some green veg and a squeeze of lemon juice.